If you want a personal training career path that offers dynamic opportunities, then it’s in your best interest to get certified. This article will help guide you through the NASM certification plus offer you a massive discount on any NASM cert.
Getting Your NASM Certification
If you want a career path that offers dynamic opportunities, then it’s in your best interest to get certified. Certifications not only provide you with advanced credentials but they’ll also vastly enhance your performance with your clients.
So if you are a personal trainer who wants more opportunities, then this is for you! Throughout this article, we’ll talk about the NASM Certification and their programs for continuing education.
What Is NASM? -The back story-
Dr. Bob Goldman established the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) in 1987. NCCA, also known as the National Commission for Certifying Agencies, has accredited NASM since then. The NASM organization specializes in functional training and provides various types of certifications for personal trainers.
Moreover, NASM uses the Optimum Performance Training (OPT) model that Dr. Micheal Clark created back in 2000. Throughout his career, he’s collaborated with some of the best athletes all across the world of sports.
The model is the first training system based on evidence and scientific research and is an integrated functional model.
The model is flexible and is broken down into 5 phases that include:
- Phase 1 - Stabilization
- Phase 2 - Strength Endurance
- Phase 3 - Hypertrophy
- Phase 4 - Maximal Strength
- Phase 5 - Power
According to Amanda Seghetti’s blog, NASM has educated at least 1.3 million fitness professionals over the years across more than 80 different countries. So , needless to say, the National Academy of Sports Medicine is well-known in the fitness industry.
NASM boasts well-known athletic trainers from the NBA, NFL, MLB, and more. These trainers typically specialize in Corrective Exercise or Performance Enhancement training.
NASM also has affiliations with several universities. These include North Carolina State University and UC Berkeley. Moreover, NASM is affiliated with Premier Global of the UK.
How to Get Your NASM Certification?
Here are things you should know if you want to apply for NASM Certification:
- As an applicant, you must be 18 years old and above
- You must have at least a high school diploma or GED
- You must have a certification for Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Note: The certifications mentioned are not required when enrolling. But you must be certified before taking the exam. AED and CPR training and certification are available in community programs or your local Red Cross organization.
2. Preparing for the Certification
The NASM certification program is an online course that you have to complete within 10 to 12 weeks. Besides finishing online modules, you can participate in NASM’s hands-on and live workshop opportunities.
Note: This certification is not a license to practice in the United Kingdom.
3. The Test
The exam has 120 questions and you have two hours to complete it. It broken down into the six content domains, which are the following:
- Section 1 is about Professional Development and Responsibility. The exam will test how you understand your role as a PT and your scope of practice. It will also cover how you can determine common health conditions.
- Section 2 is about Client Relations and Behavioral Coaching. It includes topics like client communication, behavioral changes, etc..
- Section 3 is about Basic and Applied Sciences and Nutritional Concepts. The section discusses the endocrine, digestive, and nervous systems. It also evaluates how you understand motor behavior and nutrition.
- Section 4 is about Assessment. It evaluates your ability to interpret the results of your client’s assessments.
- Section 5 is about Exercise Technique and Training Instruction. The exam tests your knowledge and ability to perform effective and safe exercises.
- Section 6 is about Program Design. It evaluates your ability to develop and perform appropriate fitness programs.
Note: To receive a passing grade you’ll need to correctly answer at least 70% of the questions. If you fail the test, NASM guarantees a free retest.
If you are an existing student who’s having difficulties accessing their website, you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, if you are a potential student, you may email them at email@example.com.
5. After the Certification
Two years after passing the exam, NASM requires you to re-certify. You have to take at least 2.0 credits from continuing education (CECs) within two years. You’ll have to pay at least $99 to re-certify and if you want a lifetime certification you’ll need to pay $299.
Cost of NASM Certification
The NASM PT Program is quite pricey, but the NASM certification is one of the most highly regarded certifications out there!
The average salary of a CPT is around $44,000 so you’ll make the money back relatively soon.
Real quick - Our partners at NASM want you to feel empowered to take the next step in your health and fitness journey. Whether that means just starting out with a foundational certification or by up-skilling yourself with a specialization to take on new clientele – NASM has the program for you.
Sign up using promo code WESTRIVE35 and save 35% on the NASM/AFAA program of your choice!* Explore your options at nasm.org or call 1 (800) 460-6276 to discuss a customized education plan.
*Terms and conditions apply. Excludes NASM Elite, AFAA Elite, NASM EDGE, Life Time Academy programs, Master Trainer Summit, Recertification, & Exam Only programs. Cannot be combined with other offers. Expires 12/31/21
WeStrive makes 0% commission on these sales. We figured out the exact percentage we could get discounted and decided to give it all to our trainers (or future trainers!).
Here is a list of a few certification tracks & pricing offered by NASM:
This program costs $2,399 and covers a ton of different certification types in one.. It includes all the benefits from the other types of programs with a Voucher for Retest. It also offers a Job Guarantee and a CPT Development Program. Here are the following items listed in the program:
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Certified Nutrition Coach
- Performance Enhancement Specialization
- Behavior Change Specialization
- Certified Group Fitness Instructor
The primary personal trainer certification is broken down into 4 tiers. Each higher tier has everything the lower tier offers and here's what they include:
- CPR/AED Online Certification
- Re-certify For Life - For Free
Guided Study Program
- Unlimited access to NASM Fitness Experts
- NASM Hard-copy textbook
- Bonus Course - Motivational interviewing for Coaches
Premium Self Study Program
- Job Guarantee
- One-Year NASM Edge access
- Practice Exams
- Textbook (PDF)
- Lecture Videos
- Videos about Correcting Forms
- Study Guide
- Practice Exercises
Specializations & Continuing Education
NASM offers different tracks you can specialize in. It can help you broaden your career path. Hence, here is the list of possible tracks for Continuing Education Credits:
1. Behavior Change
With this track, you will have a deeper understanding of your client's health conditions and habits.
2. Fitness Nutrition
This program will help you understand weight management and eating habits.
3. Performance Enhancement
This track will help you understand the appropriate performance. It focuses on agility, flexibility, etc..
4. Women’s Fitness
This program focuses on women of all ages and conditions. This includes adults, post-natal, and seniors.
5. Youth Exercise
With this program, you will have a greater understanding of how to work with kids.
NASM is a respected organization when you're looking for a personal trainer certification. Completing their program will prepare you for training in any industry and it will definitely help you train your clients better.
Use WESTRIVE35 and save 35% on the NASM/AFAA program of your choice! Explore your options at nasm.org
Which certification are you going to get?
Looking for another certification?
Make sure you're setup for online training with these articles:
- How to price your online training
- 7 Easy Steps to improve your online personal training offering
- How to write a memorable and professional fitness bio
About the Author:
Cory McKane is the CEO/Founder of WeStrive - a platform for personal trainers to manage & grow their personal training business. He enjoys working out and spending time working with trainers on WeStrive on how to manage/grow their business.